ALLURE KOREA WITH HYOYEON

 

THE CHALLENGER / Hyoyeon


Hyoyeon, who is on her third American tour, DJs on stage. Hyoyeon's bigger form is soaked in memories of a time gone by. 




I'm currently on a US tour as 'DJ Hyo'. It's already my third tour since I started my first tour last year, right?
Thankfully, the response is growing and I've had stages where I'm invited. It's still hard for me to enjoy the stage 100%, but I want to create exciting memories where people say, "Hyo's stage was really fun. Let's go again when that friend comes!"

What made you interested in DJing?
Genres like popping and locking are based on house music and involve moving your body. I enjoyed that music as a listener and a performer, and the way DJs play music is so cool. It's about raising and lowering the audience's tension for an hour, not three minutes.

Do you feel different when your role on stage changes? It's
very different. I've been on stage for over 10 years, but that's my experience as a singer. I can flexibly overcome mistakes, but DJing requires me to breathe alone with the equipment. It's been 5 years already, but I still get really nervous. I still can't fully enjoy the stage. When I gain experience, won't there come a day when I can enjoy it?

What do you consider important when making a set list?
First of all, I have to be excited to play the music. I try to include a lot of commercial songs so that everyone can enjoy it together. Personally, I also like genres like deep house and tech house, and someday I want to do a show filled with the moods I like.

The 'name value' you mentioned is definitely there in any field. Didn't it take courage to jump into the DJ scene after already being on a certain track as an idol?
I've had the desire to become a unique person for a long time. After being in a group, I wanted to be a solo singer. As I searched for the field I liked, I decided on dance and festivals. I also learned that the DJ market is incredibly large. After looking into it, I found that there are no female DJs in the world who started out as idols. I think that's why I was able to jump right in. Fortunately, I'm not afraid of taking on challenges.

Didn't you feel impatient when you were working your way up from the bottom?
Since there were no competitors, I didn't think about beating anyone and I just had to make my own path. On the contrary, I had fun doing it. Of course, I had expectations and concerns from people around me at the same time. I also had differences of opinion with the company. I think a DJ should just wear a short-sleeved T-shirt and sweatpants and play good songs, but since I'm an idol and a singer, there were many opinions that I should approach it conceptually.

How did you deal with all those worries and concerns?
First, please trust me. I went through conflicts and clashes, but I studied by using the people I often listened to and enjoyed as role models. At that time, house music was not the main stage, but the music of the sub stage, so I chose commercial music and started big room to advance to the main stage. I felt a little noisy, so it wasn't easy, but it actually became an opportunity for me to study music more. I always think that I practiced a lot and go up, but when I come down, I feel infinitely lacking. When I was in Girls' Generation or doing solo activities, I could dance and sing even when I was sleeping, but I feel deep in my bones that practice is the only answer.

When you decide to do something, do you really want to do it right?
You just try it out. If you don't know something, you ask questions and take lessons. And you learn faster in difficult situations.

This is already my third world tour, so isn't that proof that I've gained some recognition?
I recently performed at 'Summerfest', and there were more couples and families living locally than my fans. When I performed on stage, the seats were half full, but when I started playing music, people started to gather. Unlike when I was a singer, I was always on stage with full seats, but it was strange to see people gather for DJ music. I heard that people in the audience asked each other my name, and some even asked my manager what my Instagram was.




The thrill of Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon and DJ Hyo coexisting! Do you have a dream as a DJ?
It's to perform and fill half of the setlist with songs you've written yourself. That's why when you release new songs, you focus on songs that can be remixed, like 'Sober'.

What motivates you to keep getting better?
I think I developed a kind of occupational disease because I worked so hard without resting. I also have a lot of influence from fans and people around me who support me. I don't know where my confidence comes from, but there are still many aspects of me that I haven't shown yet. There are also aspects of me that I expect from myself.

What does it look like?
It's like a new concept for a new song, and it's like, 'Isn't there something more I can do?' I keep trying to come up with those ideas. I have infinite possibilities in myself.

Is the YouTube channel <Hyoyeon's Level Up> also a new beginning in that sense?
I had a lot of recommendations from people around me, but I wasn't used to the 'raw' aspect of YouTube. They said I could just show my usual self, but it was hard to know where to start and how much to let go. I was so focused on perfection that it was hard to start on my own, but when I actually did it, I thought I should have done it sooner. Why was I so focused on it? (Laughs)

Do you actually enjoy YouTube?
My favorite program is <Strongest Baseball>. Seriously.

Both <Hyoyeon's Level Up> and <Strongest Baseball> have 'growth' in common.
I guess I like experiencing or watching the process of growth. When I was doing group activities, even the smallest things were really hard. But looking back, I've never had a time when I had so much fun and learned so much. If a friend uses pretty cosmetics, I'll try them out, and sharing our values ​​stimulates me. Each member is different, so there's a lot to learn. It's the same with sports. You have to put in the effort to see results. I came to respect coach Kim Sung-geun after watching <Strongest Baseball>. He doesn't say much, but his words and actions show his affection and interest in observing and understanding others. I think it's really cool how he silently supports others within the team.

Is there a moment in that time that you want to hold onto until you die?
The entire time I was active as a member of Girls' Generation. Originally, I attached great significance to my trainee period, but as time goes by, I think that group activities are what made me who I am today. I'm proud that there was a time when I was the busiest, prettiest, and most intense, when I felt all the various emotions a person can have, and when I achieved everything I could. Above all, it means a lot to me that I have friends who I can share all my memories with.

Do you still feel like you're growing with the members?
I don't know why everyone works so hard, but there's definitely synergy. First of all, I'm really proud of you!

Is growth still a big topic in Hyoyeon's life right now?
I always practice. These days, I try to find meaning in what I do each day as a person. I try to find the ordinary in my daily life, who I meet and what I eat. I used to be very conscious of people's opinions, but I'm trying to focus on myself. I also try to be lazy as much as I want.
















    Post a Comment

    0 Comments